Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Still Cuckoo

Warning spoilers ahead. Here's the progress on my clocks. Now I hate to ruin the final effect by showing off too much before they're finished but I'm just so excited with the progress and I wanted to share it with you my friends.

It seems that every day lately this mad pursuit of mine is bearing fruit. So here's an update.  First up loyal followers will be familiar with  the internal workings of the cuckoo flip clock I posted recently. Well here's the box that it will live in.

Pretty basic but it's early days yet. Now here's how it will look with the mechanism in. Again just a sneak peek I stuck this in with bluetak just so I could get an idea about how it will look. 

Sweet isn't it? Now let's have a look at the progress on my "Russian" cuckoo clock.


Oh yes. Doesn't that look cracking? As you can see I've replaced the face with something a little different. This is a nixie tube. It's old world pre-LED or LCD displays. I've always thought that they looked really eastern bloc circa cold war so it made sense - to me anyway - to include them in a Russian clock. 






The tube is like a light bulb with 10 different filaments all stacked up. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. so depending which one has a current running through it that will be the number that lights up. It's a great piece of retro technology that I found on trademe. 

Last and, by no means least, here's an advance preview of my pirate cuckoo clock. This one will probably end up being very elaborate but this will give you an idea of where it's heading. 

Hope you enjoy how it's all looking I'd love to hear you feedback so please do leave a message below if you can. I'm really chuffed with how they're all coming together what do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm speechless - wish there was a cooler word than 'cool'. Love the use of retro technology

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one! how much? :) you are very clever my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I figure out a way to mass-produce them you can be first on the list Amanda.

    Jess - you? Speechless? Well there's a first time for everything I guess. And I'm glad you like the retro technology. I'm going to try and find more.

    ReplyDelete